søndag 24. november 2013

Bridgetown and Bajan!

Today I have travelled to the capital city of Barbados, Bridgetown! Some of the first buildings I saw were this beautiful church, and I’ve seen more of them than in Hastings. That is maybe because it is the capital city and that 95% of the people here in Barbados is Christian. But there are also Jewish, Hindus, and Muslims here. In Bridgetown I’ll be staying at Hilton Barbados Resort which is a pretty 4 stared hotel. I went to the beach bar to get a ju-C (jucey drink from Barbados) and then I heard this accent again that can be difficult to understand sometimes. In Hastings I heard it to but I was too afraid to ask because maybe I would insult them. But today I asked the bartender. He told me, not offended at all, that this accent occurred when West-Africans were forced to the island as slaves when the island was under British governance. Which also did that their main language is English. The slaves were forced to speak English. Many African words got mixed up and therefor it’s difficult for others to understand sometimes.

“Bassa-bassa” means a fight, or an uproar.

“Daa fuh yuh” means that’s what you get.

“Nyam” means to eat.

I really like this accent and find it kind of cute. This is a link to a video so you can listen to the accent.



Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar